Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Being Crafty

Allison is my "crafty" child, meaning she likes doing all things related to art: coloring, drawing, painting, cutting, gluing, jewelry making, card making, etc. etc. Unfortunately, I'm not the most creative person. Allison has aunts on both sides of the family who are very artistic. So sometimes I'm at a loss when Allison asks me to do crafts with her. When Grandma and Papa McCune came for Allison's baptism last month they brought a craft project with them. Needless to say, Allison was thrilled! The project was decorating a wooden frame around a magnetic board. Grandma brought several pieces of scrapbook paper and they decoupaged them on the wood. Luckily, Aunt Kim was also in town and helped with the project.

Grandma and Papa helping Allison cut the paper.

Allison figuring out the pattern with the strips of paper.


Applying the decoupage. Allison was so excited to be so involved in the process.


The finished product. I think it turned out pretty cute.
(Sorry about the flash reflecting on the magnetic board).
The week before spring break, Allison checked out a craft project book from her school library. She came home and showed me all the things she wanted to make. I told her we could try doing some over the break. Of course, she didn't let me forget and kept asking to do "art". So last week during spring break, Ethan and Allison did some painting. They painted pictures on paper, but they also painted glass jars (that was one of the projects in the library book). I'm not sure what they are going to do with the jars now that they are done drying, but the kids sure had fun with their art projects.



5 comments:

Jill said...

Pretty cool art projects! Good job Allison & Ethan. Maybe Allison & Auntie Jill will have to work on a card project sometime soon.

Steven & Adrienne said...

I am in the same boat with you...at camp they called me craft retarded because I always messed up the simplest crafts that even the youngest girl could do. That is a really cute project though, maybe I will have to try it out with Emily for her room...she would love it!

Laci said...

That frame turned out adorable!! Way to go Allison! And Jen, I bet that crafty gene is going to peek it's head soon....it's gotta be in the family, Brian blows me out of the water!

Unknown said...

cute frame!!!!!!!!!!! Britney and Allison would get along great!

Vegasarnolds said...

I love how Allison's board turned out! I'm glad that I could help with the project, now I need to get on Madelyn's! Allison sounds just like Madelyn when it comes to "doing art"! We will have to have a project for them to do next time we get together, not sure when that will be, but it would be fun!